- What types of animals does the rescue take in?

We specialize in singleton orphaned kittens under 12 weeks that are homeless or in rural shelters. Bottle feeding kittens requires specialized equipment and training which we provide to our fosters to ensure the best success rates. We also take adult cats from shelters as foster space allows. We do not take in dogs or other animals. 

 - Do you take owner surrenders?

We will only consider owner surrenders in very specific situations AND when we have available foster space. The owner surrender fee is $200 and the cat must be up to date on vaccines and spayed or neutered. Owners needing to surrender their cat due to active military deployment orders do not have to pay the surrender fee. Please send us an email with photos and a description of the animals you need to surrender and we will respond within 48 hours only if we can help. Our email is You may also fill out the owner surrender form on the Charlotte Humane Society page. If you got your cat from a rescue or breeder, please contact them for instructions on surrendering back to them. The majority of rescues and breeders have this requirement in the contract you signed.  

- I found a healthy/friendly cat or kitten over 6 weeks or I have been feeding a mom and/or babies and need help getting them placed. Can you take them? 

Because we are a small volunteer rescue without a facility, we stay at max capacity. Our first priority is always singleton orphans under 6 weeks and adolescent and adult cats in rural shelters. Occasionally, in the winter, we are able to make exceptions but this is rare. We recommend trying to place the kittens yourself by advertising with good photos on Next Door, Facebook, checking with friends and family, co-workers, etc. Always charge a small adoption fee and check references. You are welcome to send us an email with photos and a description of the animals you need help placing and we will respond within 48 hours only if we can help. Our email is 

- I found a friendly cat or kitten outside that appears to be over 2 lbs. 

If a friendly cat that looks malnourished approaches you looking for help, especially in a commercial area, please take to a vet to scan for a chip and report to your local animal control. If the cat is injured and it's after hours,  please take the cat to the closest emergency vet. Most vets will see injured cats during normal business hours and any vet can scan for a microchip. For urgent care, we recommend the Animal Medical Clinic in Charlotte, NC.  If you are unable to afford care, please take the cat to animal control if you are in Union, Gaston, Mecklenburg, Cabarrus, Lincoln, Anson, York, or Lancaster county. These shelters will scan for a chip, evaluate the animal and post as lost. They will actively pursue rescue for all adoptable animals and if the animal is severely injured, they can humanely euthanize. Sadly, there are many things worse than death and leaving an injured animal to die from a predator attack, a wound, or starvation is never okay. It's very likely the cat was lost or dumped and needs your help. PLEASE DO NOT WALK AWAY.

- I found a tiny kitten alone (under 2 lbs or unable to walk yet). 

If the kitten is too small to walk and hidden, most likely mom is nearby. Quiet kittens are usually happy kittens. Watch from a distance to see if mom returns in the next 6 hours. She might be out looking for food. If the kitten is crying loudly, cold, or in an unsafe area, you may remove the kitten. The most important thing is to keep the kitten warm. Kittens over 5 weeks (about 1 lb that are able to walk easily) are usually able to eat mush. DO NOT FEED COW MILK AND DO NOT FEED A COLD KITTEN. The Kitten Lady provides guidance on feeding a small kitten here: If you are unable to care for the kitten and in Mecklenburg County, please take the kitten to the kitten nursery at Animal Control as soon as possible (24 hours max). If you are in a rural area, please send us an email with photos of the kitten and we will respond as quickly as possible with instructions. Our email address is If you not heard back within 24 hours, please take the kitten to a veterinarian office and surrender it if you are unsure how to care for it. If you are unsure of the kitten's age, here is a useful guide.

- I saw a cat at a grocery store, under my shed, etc. but it ran away when I approached.

Community cats live in almost every neighborhood and commercial area in this city. If the cat runs from you, it's most likely feral and should either be TNR'ed (trapped, neutered, released) or in some cases, if the cat has a clipped ear, it's part of a colony already and has been part of a TNR project. Friends of Feral Felines can give you guidance and loan traps for TNR. You can reach their hotline at 704-348-1578.


- Do you have a facility I can visit?

Our rescue is 100% foster-based. We do not have a facility. We have adoption events as needed by appointment only. To meet any of our cats, you must have an approved adoption application on file. Please click on the Adoption Application link at the top of this page to complete. 

- How can I make a donation?

Monetary donations can be made by clicking the DONATE NOW button on the top of our page or by check (please contact us for the address to send). Gift cards to Revival Animal Health, Allivet, Chewy, Petsmart or Petco are always welcome. We also have an Amazon Wish list that can be found here: We can accept cleaned gently used cat trees and hard carriers. We cannot accept used litter boxes, toys, pet beds or anything fabric due to our little ones not yet formed immune systems. We do take donations of all kinds for fundraisers so please contact us if you are interested in learning about how you can help. Most large employers will make donations on either a matching program or volunteer hours. Click the Double the Donation link to see if your company matches!

- Can I make a donation in honor of a human or furry friend?

- YES! Click the donate now button and then email us the recipient and giver name and we will send you a certificate to present to them within 1 week. The email is

- I'm down on my luck and need help with pet food or care? 

We will also do our best to help our community pets. Please fill out the form at for help with dry food. For other assistance, please contact us and we will do our best to help or guide you in the right direction

- Do you need volunteers?

- We ALWAYS need fosters or help with transporting cats and kittens to vet appointments. We do not need adoption event help at this time. If you would like to talk to us about long term volunteering of a special skill (i.e. website help, fundraising, etc) please contact us. We definitely can put you to work. We do post fundraising event volunteer opportunities on our Facebook page as they are available and those are available to all ages.  


- Why don't you have a phone number listed? 

We are strictly a volunteer organization and most of our volunteers work full time. We have found the FAQ portion of our site is helpful in most situations and if not, emailing below is the most efficient way to communicate with us. 


Contact Us
  • Facebook Social Icon

2020 © Heart Of A Lion Rescue |  All Rights Reserved | PRIVACY POLICY

Shelter Animals Count Logopng